March is the month for St. Patrick’s Day. Let’s celebrate going “Green” by eating healthy and staying active. Staying active has essential benefits for your heart, brain and cardiovascular system. Increasing the activity of your calf muscles help to prevent and slow down venous disease such as varicose veins, leg pain and swelling. Increasing your intake of green Superfoods is the way to improve your health.
They are named “Superfoods” because they are the most nutrient dense foods to be found anywhere and will give your immune system the powerful boost that it needs.
Don’t worry they won’t make your teeth or your pee green, but will flush your system of toxins and has excellent cancer fighting benefits.
The green chemical in these foods comes from chlorophyll, which is used by plants for food and energy. This chemical contains unique properties that cause it to bind to cancer fighting agents such as hydrocarbons. Chlorophyll is easy to add to your diet and can be found abundantly in foods such as: Spinach, parsley, green beans, arugula, leeks, endive, and Chinese cabbage.
Here is a list of the top 5 green Superfoods and the wonderful jam-packed benefits that they bring. These foods can be easily added to any diet and can be found in any grocery store.
1. Spirulina: Is the number one green Superfood. It has been clinically shown to improve health and combat many disease processes due to its strong antioxidant and cancer-fighting properties. These disease processes include: High blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, obesity, cancer, low energy, and candida (thrush). Spirulina is high in protein, dietary fiber and sugars and one cup contains 64 g of Protein, 4g of Dietary fiber, and 3g of Sugar. It also contains a significant amount of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids as well as other vitamins and minerals. It can be found most commonly in the powder form and may be added to soups, and smoothies.
2. Chlorella: Is the second most nutrient dense Superfood native to Taiwan and Japan. It has also been shown clinically to help in many diseases such as: Cancer, Diabetes, Cholesterol, Immune support, and Weight loss. It contains many vitamins and minerals and just one cup (dried) contains 58 g of Protein, 23g of Carbohydrates, and 9.3 g of Fat.
3. Avocados: Everyone loves this food. Avocados contain a well-balanced nutrition profile containing everything from good fats to B vitamins. This is a powerful easy to eat and tasty food which contains 35 g of Fat, Omega-3 and Omega-6, and 4.5 g of protein. It can be easily prepared and can be enjoyed by itself and also added to many dishes to enhance their flavors.
4. Wheat Grass: Can be found easily in nature. It is usually served added to smoothies. Although it lacks some of the fat potentials and Omega fatty acids, it is still considered a top 5 Superfood due to its high antioxidant properties and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
5. Last but least are the Cruciferous vegetables. These vegetables have strong cancer- fighting properties and can be found abundantly here in America. They can be eaten by themselves, raw or steamed or added to many dishes. They support detoxification and significantly reduces the risk of many cancers such as colon, breast, and lung. These include: Turnip, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Bok Choy, Brussel Sprout, Kale, Collard Greens, and radish.
Whether you are looking to live healthy, change the way you look or want to beat the clock, these Superfoods can help to improve your health and decrease your risk for cardiovascular disease and maintain a healthy weight.
Take control of your health today.